Forget About New Year’s Resolutions and Start Living Purposefully
For many years I faithfully made a New Year’s resolution and I failed most of the time. I came to the conclusion that they simply don’t work and set out to find out why. What I learned is that they don’t work because we fail to plan behind the intention. Resolving to lose weight, make more money, find a better job or improve on our relationships is not enough. We all know what happens with those lofty goals. We forget about them a few weeks after we’ve made them when we’ve moved on to the more pressing matters in our lives. And we berate ourselves for not having the “stick-to-it-tive-ness” needed to achieve them.
My challenge to you is to forget New Year’s resolutions. Instead, let’s resolve to stop blaming ourselves for failing to achieve them and spend our energy on creating meaningful and aspiring goals that come from a base of unlimited potential. Let’s commit to achieving these goals by taking small steps on a daily basis. Aspiring goals, set from a base of no limits give us focus when they include:
- Passion – start by discovering what you’re most passionate about at this moment in your life and draw on those passions to create aspiring goals. To have any chance of success, a goal needs to be intrinsically motivated. There has to be a resounding “I WANT to do it” and “I NEED to do this” stirring in your belly.
- Possibilities – it’s easier to generate tons of possibilities when you have goals that are aspiring to you and focus on the positives. Tangible outcomes resulting from the possibilities you generate will sustain the energy required to realize your goal and invite you to create new ones.
- Purpose – a goal needs to be extrinsically motivated as well. It has to produce results you can see. Use the power of 3 small steps, everyday, to keep moving forward with your goals and to maintain momentum.
Over the next year I will post weekly blogs at www.inkiesta.com/blog and on my facebook page, Dianne Gaudet Coaching Inkiesta. Each week will be organized around a theme to help you gain clarity and create goals that will support you in achieve the success you want. These blogs will:
- Invite you to consider several aspects of your life and your work
- Help you set aspiring goals and take action
- Identify obstacles that get in the way and create new possibilities to address these issues
- Help you draw on your own inner wisdom and strength while taking care of yourself and others.
I extend an invitation for you to embark on your own hero’s journey in this New Year, and to commit 30-60 minutes each weekly to build your own inspiring life blueprint. Over the course of this year, you will create the most beautiful of masterpieces – your life lived on purpose.
Dianne is a business and life coach and author of a new book: If There Are No Limits… A guide to living with passion, purpose and possibilities. For more information, visit www.inkiesta.com