Ten Ways To Tango With Your Passions
When you think of someone who exudes passion, rx who comes to mind? What is it about that person that has passion written all over it? Is it in the way they act, healing what they say or how they express themselves? Passionate people feel enthusiastic and excited about everything they do. You can see it in the sparkle in their eyes and in the energy in their body. Their energy is infectious and it can’t be faked. Passion is an intense burning desire, see a roaring “Yes!” that comes from a deep place in the soul; an intense emotion stirring in the belly that compels us to take action. Passion is the sweet elixir of life. When we’re passionate about what we do, we are in a zone, in flow and passion makes light of the work we do. When we’re passionate we hear a voice inside that says: “I love what I’m doing, I can’t believe they pay me to do this.” When I think about passion, I see a vibrant red allure surrounding two people dancing a passionate tango like they haven’t a care in the world but being in that moment.
When you find the work that connects directly with your passions, you feel boundless energy, like there are no limits to what you can do and how long you can do it. You feel positive and connected to something much grander than yourself. You focus effortlessly, pay attention for long periods of time and easily call on your creativity to resolve obstacles that get in the way. You may even do what you once believed was impossible. And there are physical benefits to doing what you’re passionate about. You laugh more, have that extra bounce in you step and more energy. You sleep better, feel happier and trust more easily.
Passions can be cultivated, even when they have been buried deep inside from years of “busy-ness” and priorities. But you have to make room for your passions to emerge and this can only happen when you create an inviting environment to let your passions flourish.
- It starts with saying “No!” to unimportant things. Clear your calendar of the busy-ness and create a sacred time for yourself. Go to your favourite place and allow yourself to just be.
- Relax, clear your mind, open your heart and listen to the whispers. You can’t hear what your heart is telling you if you’re busy running around, working or connected 24/7.
- Embrace the incredible wisdom that is hidden inside you. Invite it to share the messages you are ready to hear.
- Ask questions that invite your creativity to soars, questions like “What if…?” or “If time was infinite I would…” or “If money was not important I would…”
- Think about your life in broader terms that a job or work. Consider your life from a perspective of work, relationships, health, leisure community and continuous learning.
- Visualize a life where you are doing exactly what you want to do, where you want to do it, with the people who can support you, and picture yourself in that life.
- Take a look at unfulfilled dreams to see if they provide any clues and ask yourself: What dreams am I ready for?” Keep asking this question every day for a couple of weeks and see what emerges.
- Pay attention to the thoughts that occupy your mind as you ponder what’s possible. The most worthy thoughts will keep coming up, again and again, and beg your attention. Write the ideas down so you don’t forget them.
- When you have a few nuggets to work with, engage in brainstorming or mind mapping and see what surfaces. You may surprise yourself.
- As new ideas begin to surface, pay attention to the coincidences, synchronicity and unexplained chance meetings. Often times, when we are open to new ideas, things start happening or we meet people who can help us move in a new direction.
As the ideas begin to flow, capture them in a journal so you can ponder them, elaborate on them and start connecting them to other ideas until a clearer picture emerges. It may take a few weeks or a few months, but if you keep asking the questions and you remain open to new ideas, they will come and soon you’ll have a clear picture of the passions that have lain dormant inside you for so many years. Embrace your newfound passions and tango to your heart’s desires.