It’s Time For A New Integrated Leadership Model That Fits Today’s Business Realities
Surprisingly, site many leaders and organizations still buy into the old tried and true model of traditional management and hang on to the hope that the good ol’ days where companies operated in environments of infrequent and slower change cycles, medical fewer competitive forces, and slower rhythms will make a comeback. It’s time to face reality. The skills of the traditional leader simply do not cut it in today’s complex, 24/7, on-demand business environments. Today’s leaders need a new set of integrated skills and capabilities to meet the ever increasing demands of these new organizations, the growing expectations of customers and suppliers, and to meet the needs of their employees. And any new leadership model must encompass a set of integrated and holistic competencies that will drive success in highly competitive, dynamic and changing organizations. Leaders need to be skilled in five critical areas.
- Contemplative Leadership – Today’s leaders are more agile in applying critical thinking to envision and create operational and marketing strategies that are based on sound and current business models and information, in environments that are constantly changing and adapting.
- Discerning Leadership - Today’s leaders are skilled in influencing, in understanding and embracing cultural diversity and they are politically savvy. They flourish in today’s organizations by being masters in facilitating organizational change that lessens the impact on all key stakeholders. These skills are the underbelly of leadership success.
- Interdependent Leadership - Effective leaders know how to engage, inspire and coach their employees to achieve what, at times, may seem impossible. They clearly understand the importance of on-going development, building trusting relationships through open and honest communications, and creating effective feedback mechanisms to engage multi-generational and culturally diverse talent.
- Self-Leadership – Today’s leaders are adaptable and flexible so they can thrive in constant change. They know how to work smarter, not harder. They embrace other perspectives, act courageously and they are committed to continuous learning and growth. They constantly seek new ways to raise the performance bar to a level where everyone wins. They initiate business unit level transformations that are imperative to the success of their employees, customers and organizations.
- Outcome Oriented Leadership – Today’s leaders achieve results through the development and execution of realistic goals, relentless focus on measurements and feedback, process improvements and by being passionate about helping their customers, suppliers and employees succeed.
Join me next time as I expand on the skills of Contemplative Leaders.