Week 33 – What Role Does Spirituality Play in Your Life?
I’ve struggled for many years to define what spirituality means to me. Perhaps I was trying too hard to confine the definition of spirituality into a small and tidy box or strictly against the doctrines of one religion. I am just beginning to discover a broader perspective of how spirituality is a vibrant part of my life.
Spirituality is as simple or as complex as you want it to be. Many define spirituality as a valued connection to a greater power,
- Spirituality is physical. It is living and fulfilling our life’s purpose and living a principled life. Spirituality is experiential as well as conceptual and spiritual wisdom is acquired through life’s experiences. It is about nurturance and renewal of self.
- Spirituality is social. It is the intimate connections we seek with all life forms, a treasuring of kinship with our families, friends and others we meet along the way. Welcoming others graciously into our home and our life, loving and being sensitive towards others are spiritual acts.
- Spirituality is spirit. It is a philosophy of life. It is being open to the wonders of life. It is living ethically and with integrity. It is our connection to and belief in a higher power and our private communication with that higher power. It is praise, adoration, devotional prayer and faith that guardian angels are watching over us.
- Spirituality is intellectual. It is about inner exploration and finding the truths about one’s self. Spirituality embraces imagination, strategic thinking, curiosity and it expands our horizons. It’s about seeking meaning in life through refection and having a vision for a better world.
Understanding your spiritual self may take a lifetime, and even though spirituality can be an elusive concept to define, there are ways to understand more fully what role spirituality plays in your life. You can begin to understand the full scope of your spirituality by completing the following three statements:
- For me, spirituality means…
- Living spiritually in my everyday life looks like…
- I draw on my own spirituality when…
By reflecting on the meaning of spirituality, you will gain a better understanding of what it means for you and how it manifests in your everyday life. Ultimately you are the champion of your own spiritual life.
Dianne is a certified coach who helps individuals thrive as they successfully manage the dynamics of incessant demands; and the author of a new book: If There Are No Limits… A guide to living with passion, purpose and possibilities. For more information, visit the book page on this website.