Week 42 – How Do You Show Up For Your Life?
In the movie Second Marigold Hotel, drug the owner, Sunny (Dev Patel) runs a business he describes as outsourcing of old age. Every morning, he takes roll call to make sure all his tenants are still alive. Sometimes I think we would all benefit from a roll call of our own to see if we’re really showing up for life. Too often we are here in body but absent in spirit. We are the walking living, going about with the business of living but feeling spiritually dead inside. There are so many things to do and at times they all seem important. To really show up for life, every day, requires a different approach. It means:
- Bringing a focus to doing what is connected to the most important parts of our life –family, career and health.
- Accepting that we can’t control every outcome and choosing instead to make the most of what we do have.
- Being fully present in conversations with family, friends and colleagues instead of letting our mind run an unrelenting mental list of to-do’s.
- Allowing ourselves time to fully disengage from life’s pressures to contemplate new possibilities and fully re-engage with a clearer perspective and focus.
- Drawing on inner strengths and guidance to create a life that is truly on purpose.
- Adding spice to our lives with the small things that matter to us and those we love.
One of life’s greatest paradoxes in life is that we must be willing to work hard to reap the rewards; yet, only by working at our best will the most meaningful rewards come. It is only when we fully show up that we are at our best in everything we do.
Dianne is a certified coach who helps individuals thrive as they successfully manage the dynamics of incessant demands; and the author of a new book: If There Are No Limits… A guide to living with passion, purpose and possibilities. For more information, visit the book page on this website.